Courseley uses, processes, and stores Personal Data, including what is listed in the “What information we may collect?
” section, as necessary to perform our contract with you, and based on our legitimate interests in order to provide the Services. We rely on your consent to process Personal Data to send promotional emails and to place cookies on your devices. In some cases, Courseley may process Personal Data pursuant to legal obligation or to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
When Courseley transfers the personal data of EEA, Swiss, and UK residents outside of those regions it does so via appropriate safeguards of user privacy, such as standard contractual clauses.What rights do I have, and how can I exercise them?
Individuals located in the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, and the UK have certain rights in respect to their personal information, including the right to access, correct, or delete Personal Data we process through your use of the Site, Software, and/or Services. If you’re a user based in the EEA, Switzerland, or the UK, you can:
- Request a Personal Data report by submitting contacting us at email@example.com. This report will include the Personal Data we have about you, provided to you in a structured, commonly used, and portable format. You must be signed into your Courseley account to submit this request. Please note that Courseley may request additional information from you to verify your identity before we disclose any information.
- Have your Personal Data corrected or deleted. Some Personal Data can be updated by you: You can update your name and email address, as well as language preference, through your Courseley account settings. If you registered for Courseley using Google or Facebook, or if you otherwise have problems updating this information, please contact us as soon as possible. You can remove your Personal Data from Courseley by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Object to us processing your Personal Data. You can ask us to stop using your Personal Data, including when we use your Personal Data to send you marketing emails. We only send marketing communications to users located in the EEA, Switzerland, and the UK with your prior consent, and you may withdraw your consent at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link found within Courseley emails and changing your contact preferences. Please note that you will continue to receive transactional messages related to our Services, even if you unsubscribe from marketing emails.
- Complain to a regulator. If you’re based in the EEA, Switzerland, or the UK and think that we haven’t complied with data protection laws, you have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority.
If you have other questions or do not have a Courseley account, contact us at email@example.com.Data transfers
Information submitted to Courseley will be transferred to, processed, and stored in the United States. When you use the Software on your computing device, User Content you save will be stored locally on that device and synced with our servers. If you post or transfer any Information to or through our Site, Software, and/or Services, you are agreeing to such Information, including Personal Data and User Content, being hosted and accessed in the United States. Please note that the privacy laws of the United States may be different from those in the place where you are a resident.
Where required, we will use appropriate safeguards for transferring data outside of Europe, Switzerland, and the UK. This includes signing Standard Contractual Clauses that govern the transfers of such data, which may be used in conjunction with additional safeguards. For more information about these transfer mechanisms, please contact us.Information collection and useWhat Information does Courseley collect about me?
When you interact with our Site, Software, and/or Services, we collect information that could be used to identify you (“Personal Data”). Some of the information we collect is stored in a manner that cannot be linked back to you (“Non-Personal Data”).Information you provide us when you create an account
When you sign up for or use our Services, you voluntarily give us certain Personal Data, including:
Other Information we collect
- Your username, email address, and contact and language preferences. If you log into Courseley with a social networking credential, such as with your Facebook or Google account, we will ask permission to access basic information from that account, such as your name and email address. You can stop sharing that information with us at any time by removing Courseley's access to that account.
We collect this information as you use the Site, Software, and/or Services:
Automatically collected Information
- User Content. This consists of all text, documents, or other content or information uploaded, entered, or otherwise transmitted by you in connection with your use of the Services and/or Software.
- Names of user contacts in Courseley Keyboard (on-device storage only). To make appropriate spelling suggestions, the Courseley Keyboard may request or obtain access to your contacts' names on your device. For instance, Courseley will not try to autocorrect names that are in your contacts. These names will be stored solely on your device within the Courseley Keyboard app and are never sent to Courseley servers.
Certain data about the devices you use to connect with Courseley and your use of the Site, Software, and/or Services are automatically logged in our systems, including:
Cookies. Information collected from other sources
- Location information. This is the geographic area where you use your computer and mobile devices (as indicated by an Internet Protocol (IP) address or similar identifier) when interacting with our Site, Software, and/or Services.
- Log data. As with most websites and technology services delivered over the internet, our servers automatically collect data when you access or use our Site, Software, and/or Services and record it in log files. This log data may include IP address, browser type and settings, date and time of use, information about browser configuration, language preferences, and cookie data.
- Usage information. This is information about the Courseley Site, Software, and/or Services you use and how you use them. We may also obtain data from our third-party partners and service providers to analyse how users use our Site, Software, and/or Services. For example, we will know how many users access a specific page on the Site and which links they clicked on. We use this aggregated information to better understand and optimise the Site.
- Device information. This is data from your computer or mobile device, such as the type of hardware and software you are using (for example, your operating system and browser type), as well as unique device identifiers for devices that are using Courseley Software.
We use, process, and store your Information as necessary to perform our contract with you and for our legitimate business interests, including:
Does Courseley review User Content?
- To help us provide and administer our Site, Software, and/or Services, authenticate users for security purposes, provide personalized user features and access, process transactions, conduct research, develop new features, and improve the features, algorithms, and usability of our Site, Software, and/or Services.
- To communicate with you about your use of our Site, Software, and/or Services, product announcements, and software updates, as well as respond to your requests for assistance, including providing account verification support if you’re having difficulty accessing your account.
- To send you direct marketing emails and special offers about Courseley, from which you can unsubscribe at any time. If you are located in the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland, or the UK, we will only send you marketing information if you consent to us doing so at the time you create your account or any point thereafter.
- To display User Content associated with your account and make sure it is available to you when you use our Services.
- To provide human proofreading services for users who submit User Content in connection with this specific service.
- To calculate aggregate statistics on the number of unique devices using our Site, Software, and/or Services, and to detect and prevent fraud and misuse of those.
As a rule, Courseley employees do not monitor or view your User Content stored in or transferred through our Site, Software, and/or Services, but it may be viewed if we believe the Terms of Service have been violated and confirmation is required, if we need to do so to respond to your requests for support, if we otherwise determine that we have an obligation to review it as described in the Terms of Service, or to improve our algorithms as described in the User Content section of our Terms of Service. In addition, if you request our human proofreading services, our proofreaders may also read the User Content you submit for this specific service, as necessary to perform our contract with you and for our legitimate business interests. Finally, your Information may be viewed where necessary to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Courseley and its users, or to comply with our legal obligations, such as responding to warrants, court orders, or other legal processes.